Convocation is the Graduate School's signature celebration marking the beginning of your academic journey at Vanderbilt University. By joining the ranks of this university, you will be working alongside some of the most brilliant minds seeking to make the world a better place. You represent the future of research and discovery.
Convocation formally welcomes new students to the Graduate School. Students will hear from Vanderbilt’s distinguished leaders including Vice Provost André Christie-Mizell, Chancellor Daniel Diermeier, Provost Cybele Raver, and various faculty members.
Convocation will occur on Monday, August 21, 2023, from 10:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Student Life Center (SLC), followed by lunch and an information fair in Alumni Hall where students will learn about key campus support services, graduate student organizations, and other key offices during the orientation fair. Lunch will be served. Participation is mandatory for new graduate students.
Register here by August 11, 2023.
10:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Convocation Ceremony
Student Life Center, Ballrooms ABC
- André Christie-Mizell, Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate School
- Daniel Diermeier, Chancellor
- Cybele Raver, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Speakers TBA
12 – 12:30 p.m. Boxed Lunch Pick Up and Transition to Alumni Hall
Student Life Center, Board of Trust Room
12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Orientation Fair and Social
Alumni Hall and Alumni Terrace
The information fair provides students with additional information about the numerous services available to them at Vanderbilt. Don't miss the t-shirt screen printing and food trucks for a sweet treat during the information fair!
- Screen printing Graduate School t-shirts with Hip Hues
- Tables and chairs on the terrace and lawn for socializing
- Meet other graduate students and enjoy socializing while playing yard games
- Hear from student organization leaders
- Black and gold balloon arch for photo ops
- Tabling by 20+ campus offices
- Food trucks on site for dessert