Graduate and Postdoc Academic Success Programming
- "Beyond Time Management" is now available to watch, anytime! Details below.
- Fall 2023 Programming Info Below
- Write On! is back - info on how to apply (by August 25) is here: https://gradschool.vanderbilt.edu/gpas/write.php
- Individual Consulting Appointments – Choose date and time to meet 1:1 via Calendly https://calendly.com/individual-consultation-in-person-or-zoom
Beyond Time Management - Asynchronous
We have recorded our Beyond Time Management presentation so now you can watch this whenever you have the time and space to do so. You can access the recording as a course through the Oracle Learning Platform. Here's what you need to know:
- Click here for the self service Link to enroll in the course. (Requires Single Sign On - Duo)
- The Course ID is OLC2849023
- You can also search by title "Beyond Time Management"
- 45 minutes long (you can stop/pause at anytime)
Graduate Development Network: Passport to Success Friday, September 15 12:00 - 3:00 PM
Save the Date - More Info Coming Soon!!
A Collaboration of Graduate & Postdoc Academic Success & The Student Care Network
This workshop series is designed to promote expert performance by exploring common issues impacting graduate and professional students and postdocs. During each session, we will briefly cover theory and research on the topic and provide a space for attendees to discuss their related experiences and to gain support and consultation.
Both Graduate Students and Postdocs are welcome to register.
Registration Links Active. Please click on the offering for which you would like to register.
Each session is offered from 4:00 - 5:00 PM on the Thursdays noted.
Sessions held in person only - Space is limited, RSVP required.
Managing Perfectionism and “Imposter Syndrome
Thursday, September 14 4:00 - 5:00 PM
This workshop is designed to explore the concepts of Perfectionism and Imposter Syndrome, to share experiences about how they affect our work, and to outline strategies to acknowledge and resist the thoughts that get in our way.
Motivation, Mindset & Effective Goal Setting
Thursday, September 28 4:00 - 5:00 PM
This workshop is designed to explore the concepts of motivation and mindset, to share experiences about how they affect our work, and to outline strategies on how to set goals that keep us motivated and productive.
Managing Conflict and Relationships
Thursday, October 12 4:00 - 5:00 PM
This workshop is designed to explore conflict within academia, to share experiences about how conflict has affected your work, and to outline strategies on how to navigate academic relationships that foster clear boundaries and expectations.
Performing under Pressure & Fighting Procrastination
Thursday, October 26 4:00 - 5:00 PM
This workshop is designed to acknowledge the pressures of academia, to share experiences about how they affect our work, and to outline strategies on how to fight procrastination and increase efficiency in an ever-demanding environment.
Finding Work/Life Balance
Thursday, November 9 4:00 - 5:00 PM
This workshop is designed to explore your professional and personal values and responsibilities, to share experiences about how they affect your work, and to outline strategies to ensure that you are giving adequate time to your holistic needs.
Dialogue and conversation around the subject by participants is a critical piece of session as it is always helpful to know you are not the only one struggling with these topics and hear how others are managing. You are not required to speak but it may be helpful in making sure your concerns are addressed.
Request a Program *New* for departments/programs/organizations
We are happy to accept requests submitted by student/postdoc organizations, staff, and faculty for presentations on services offered by GPAS and topics relevant to academic success for our graduate students and postdoc community. We are happy to present one of our existing presentations or work with you to tailor a presentation to your group's needs. Past topics have included:
- Beyond Time Management - managing progress and productivity in Academia (includes goal setting principles, etc.)
- Perfectionism and Imposter Syndrome
- Aligning Expectations in Academia (establishing expectations with your faculty supervisor)
- Effective Communication and Working through Conflict in Academia
- Managing Up!
- Social Persuasion: Receiving and Responding to Feedback
- Building Self-Efficacy - Confidence and Independence as a researcher
- CliftonStrengths Assessment and Debriefing - for groups and individuals
- Know your Resources! - supportive resources for graduate students or postdocs at Vanderbilt (great for departmental orientations!)
To request services, please complete the form on Anchorlink. Please note: GPAS staff require a minimum of two weeks' notice to consider requests. All requests will be screened by a staff member within 2-3 business days of the initial request. Approval of requests are contingent upon scheduling, availability of staff and type of request submitted.
You can also email email@example.com with any questions.
Other Support Programming Resources on Campus
- Russell G. Hamilton Graduate Leadership Institute
- Career Services (for non-BRET/biomedical graduate students)
- BRET Career Development ASPIRE (biomedical graduate students)
- Center for Student Wellbeing
- Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center
- English Language Center
- Writing Studio
- University Counseling Center
- Project SAFE
- LGBTQI Life
- Bishop Johnson Black Cultural Center