Leadership Lessons from the U.S. Military
Bass Military Scholars: Young Leaders Series
The Bass Military Scholars Program launched in 2018 to support a cohorts of highly talented veterans pursuing graduate and professional degrees. The program values academic excellence, distinguished military service, and the potential to positively impact society after graduation. Bass Scholars exemplify a high caliber of scholarship, patriotism, and leadership. A integral part of the program includes sharing their military experience to foster military-civilian exchanges and expose the greater student body to military values, character, mission focus, and leadership qualities and capabilities.
Panel Discussion: Experience vs Authority
Thursday, September 17, 2020
5:00 – 6:00 pm
view the recording
Moderator: Craig Kuphall (MBA ’21)
This panel will explore how different combinations of experience and authority can affect leadership strategy and team performance. Key themes addressed will be:
- Recognizing the difference between experience and authority.
- Identifying and leveraging informal leaders in an organization.
- Strategies to make an impact and earn respect despite a lack of experience.
Women in Leadership Roles
Friday, October 2, 2020
12:00 – 1:00 pm
This interactive workshop will use case studies and group discussions to explore:
- the key characteristic of a leader and what makes someone a professional
- how to maintain professionalism when a subordinate is more experienced and/or older
- the differences and similarities between leading as man vs leading as a woman
- the Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) method for communicating with your team
Workshop facilitators will share their personal experiences for each of the case studies presented, what they learned, and how they would approach similar situations in the future.
Leading the Self
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
This interactive panel will explore every day practices for self-improvement and best practices for preparing to transition into a leadership role. Key themes addressed will be:
- Traits and skills to be more effectively lead others.
- How to transition into an already established team or organization.
- Balancing self-confidence and self-awareness.
- Leveraging your strengths vs. improving your weaknesses. What should your focus be?
- Staying calm and focused under stress.
- Maintaining integrity in difficult and/or ambiguous situations.
Monday, November 30, 2020
3:00 – 4:00 pm
Through interactive exercises and group discussions this workshop will:
- Provide a deeper understanding of emotional intelligence
- Explore the connection between emotional intelligence skills and critical leadership skills
- Provide practical strategies to applying emotional intelligence skills