Unsure of what taxes you should be paying or what education credits pertain to you? While Vanderbilt University is unable to provide tax advice, here are some resources that may guide you in your tax preparations.
Payroll is pay for work performed, whereas a stipend is service-free payments to students. Typically, Vanderbilt withholds taxes on payroll and will send you a W-2 statement. If you did not receive your W-2, please log onto Oracle. Taxes are not withheld from stipends.
- The Office of Student Accounts provides assistance for downloading your 1098-T, FAQs about the 1098-T, and information regarding tax benefits for education.
- The Vanderbilt International Services provides information and forms pertaining to a range of international tax topics.
- The IRS has a Free File site that can help you figure out if you can file your federal taxes for free and has the list of eligible online tax preparation companies or software. Some online tax preparation sites offer live, online support from tax experts. Turbo Tax is one option that has been used and recommended by students.
- The IRS's page on scholarships, fellowships, and other grants
- "Do I Include My Scholarship, Fellowship, or Education Grant as Income on My Tax Return?"