Skip to main content
Vanderbilt Background Photo

Faculty & Staff

Generally the first point of contact for prospective students and postdoctoral scholars is either a faculty or staff member within a specific program of interest. Continuing as a support and resource person for students and postdocs is key to fulfilling the academic mission of the Graduate School, and we are very appreciative of all the measures that members within departments take to interact, engage, and develop students and postdocs. Below are some resources that will be helpful in your administrative roles.


The Graduate School application and required documents can be found on Application Process. Please direct prospective students to this site along with any other relevant application information from your specific department.

If you are engaged in recruitment for your department, we encourage you to create a program profile on The Graduate School has purchased a institutional license to support the recruiting efforts of all Graduate School programs. 

The Director of Graduate Studies Handbook also has some resources on recruitment.

For assistance with increasing the diversity of your applicants, please contact Assistant Dean Don Brunson.


Funding for Students

Financial pressures are a significant source of stress for students. Please direct students to these resources:


Your Enrollment Services (YES)

YES is the primary academic records and registration portal for Vanderbilt University.  Faculty use YES to manage courses, transfer credits, communicate securely with students, assign grades, etc. 

Teaching faculty that need to change grades given to a student should use the Grade Change guide for complete instructions on the process in YES. For instances that require a paper form for updating (grades that have been changed once, grades for students in their final terms or changing a grade for a student who has graduated), please use this form.  For incomplete grades, use the reconciling an incomplete grade form.

A full list of YES user guides is available on the Registrar's website


Career Development

Assistant Dean Ruth Schemmer is available to meet with students and postdoctoral scholars one-on-one to look over CVs, resumes, and cover letters as well as to provide advice on job talks and interview preparation and hold mock interviews. She is also available to give career-related tips specific to each program. Please email Assistant Dean Schemmer if you would like to set up a presentation for your department. Direct students and postdoctoral scholars to the Graduate School Career Development webpage for more resources. 



If you are responsible for any social media for your department, please connect with the Graduate School on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. We will periodically send out announcements and events through these channels and would appreciate any additional assistance in advertising to graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.


Academic Forms

The academic forms listed below require DGS, instructor, committee member, and/or adviser approval, and can also be found on the Academic Forms page of this website.