What is Dual Identity?
Graduate students who require access to systems/resources owned by both Vanderbilt University (VU) and Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) may need dual identities. These unique individuals are known as dual identity users and have two IDs and two email accounts. Dual identities at VU and VUMC have individual login credentials and email accounts that provide access to each organization’s applications and systems. An ID/username at VU is called a VUnet ID, and an ID/username at VUMC is called a VUMC ID. Passwords must be set for each.
Having dual identity does not automatically grant students access to VUMC systems, but a VUMC ID is needed to grant access to VUMC systems.
Step 1 : VU student dual identity application and assignment process:
- Students should work with their principal investigator (PI) and the VUMC department administrator and LAN manager for assistance in initiating the request for dual identity.
- The VUMC department administrator/faculty member/PI submits a Pegasus ticket to request dual identity for the student.
- Students without a social security number (required for the Pegasus ticket) should contact their PI’s home department for assistance.
- The student will receive an email and must claim the ID once the Pegasus ticket has been approved. Please see the VU Identity - New Users page for information on claiming the ID.
Step 2: VU student access to VUMC systems/resources:
- Dual ID itself (Step 1) does not automatically confer access to the wide variety of VUMC systems/resources.
- After the student is successfully assigned a dual ID, they should contact their PI to work with the VUMC department administrator and LAN manager for assistance in gaining access to specific VUMC systems/resources, which may vary.
- Q: What if a student has successfully obtained a dual ID but is unable to access data on a VUMC server?
- A: The student should contact their PI to work with the VUMC LAN manager for assistance in gaining access to the VUMC server.
- Q: What if a student has successfully obtained a dual ID but is unable to connect to VUMC wifi?
- A: The student should contact their PI to work with the VUMC LAN manager for assistance in gaining access to the VUMC wifi.
- Q: What if a student has successfully obtained a dual ID but is unable to access a VUMC building with their VU ID badge?
- A: The student should contact their PI to work with the VUMC building facilities manager for assistance in gaining access to the building with their VU ID badge.
Need More Help?
For additional assistance contact Sheri Stephens at email@example.com. More information about the dual ID process can be found at https://www.vumc.org/it/dual-identity.