Skip to main content
Vanderbilt Background Photo

International Student Guide

International Students

If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you will be contacted by International Student and Scholar Services. If you are requesting an I-20 for F-1 student status or a DS-2019 for J-1 student status, you will follow instructions in the email you receive from ISSS. If you are in another visa status that allows you to study, make sure to provide ISSS with documentation of that status.

All new F-1 and J-1 international graduate and professional students will need to complete a SEVIS check-in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) upon arrival to the US and/or campus. You will receive an email from ISSS with information on next steps regarding the SEVIS check-in process and virtual orientation sessions.

If you are receiving a graduate research or teaching assistantship or a stipend from Vanderbilt you must complete a Glacier profile, to create an international tax record. Your hiring department will request a Glacier profile be set up for you by completing a Glacier Access/PHN form.    You will receive an email with Glacier access instructions from  and be required to provide the International Tax Office your Glacier record documents and immigration document copies prior to receiving payment.  In addition, Graduate Researchers and Teaching Assistants are required to apply for a Social Security Number upon employment if they don’t already have one.  Please contact the Vanderbilt International Tax Office (ITO) with any questions you have regarding the Glacier software,

International Students who obtain on-campus employment or who will also work as a Graduate Research or Teaching Assistant should speak with their hiring department about the employment forms that must be completed.