Graduate School Programming
The Graduate School continues to add new programming to meet the needs of graduate students and postdocs. Offerings range from career development, to life coaching and personal skills building, social activities and new leadership training.
Select a workshop or event from the list below to learn more and register, when available.
Russell G. Hamilton Graduate Leadership Institute
The Russell G. Hamilton Graduate Leadership Institute (GLI) provides graduate students with the tools to thrive in leadership roles and to identify and develop leadership skills in themselves and others. GLI programming is the first step in leadership development, and is open to graduate students. Learn more about available seminars and workshops on the GLI website.
- Authentic Leadership: Leading with Kindness
- Art of Negotiation Workshop
- How to Write an Op-Ed
Graduate Life Coach
The Graduate Life Coach offers both the Peak Performance and Critical Conversation series each spring and fall semester for graduate students and postdocs. Due to high demand, these workshops fill quickly. Visit the Graduate Life Coach website for detailed information on each of the sessions offered.
- Peak Performance Workshop Series (open to graduate students and postdocs)
- Critical Conversations Series for Postdocs
- Critical Conversation Series for Graduate Students
More information will be available later in the fall semester regarding these spring 2020 programs:
- Personal Finance for PhDs
- Collaborative Communication Workshop
In addition to individual career counseling, the Graduate School Career Development office offers a broad array of workshops and special seminars to enrich both graduate students and postdocs. Visit the Career Development website to learn more about and to register for these events.
- Not a Bad Gig: Careers in America's Two-Year Colleges
- Resumes for Diverse Careers
- The Academic Interview
- LinkedIn is Your Friend
- Big Help for Small Talk
- Job Search for International Students
- Interviewing Skills for Graduate Students and Postdocs
- 3 Minute Thesis
- Science Communication: Making the Most of Your Presentation
- Free-Range PhDs: Humanities/Social Science Career Diversity
The Graduate School hosts multiple events each year to orient, form a sense of community with and to celebrate Vanderbilt's graduate students.
- Fall orientation for new Graduate School students
- Dean's Reading with Graduate School Dean Mark Wallace
- Annual Graduate Student Appreciation Week in April
- Commencement activities
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA) offers a variety of programming to VU and VUMC postdocs, and collaborates with the Vanderbilt Postdoc Association for activities, including social events. More information can be found on the events page on the OPA website.
- Annual Postdoc Appreciation Week
- Monthly Lunch and Learn Seminars
- Vanderbilt Postdoc Association Symposium
- Academic Pathways Postdoctoral Fellowship Symposium